Those of us with parents in seniors’ living communities will likely have seen sensational headline on the news indicating that seniors’ housing and care communities may not be safe places to call home in the wake of the pandemic.
We understand the fear that such headlines may cause. As senior care professionals, we also understand the many things to keep in mind when considering removing your loved ones from a retirement or care community. You are valued members of the Optima Living family, and we want to help ensure that you are equipped with all of the facts you need to make an informed decision.
The care partners at all Optima Living communities are carefully selected and well trained for all facets of high-quality living. Our residents rely on their care partners and fellow community members for medical attention, social engagement, wellness programs, and specialized care.
Questions to determine readiness for a home stay:
There are many factors to be considered when looking after a loved one in your home. Review these questions to review your plan and readiness.
1. Can you provide support in these vital areas: medical, social engagement, consistent nutritional meal plans, wellness programming, and specialized care?
2. Are you familiar enough with the behavioural tendencies of your loved one to be able to recognize when something is wrong?
3. Do you have a process in place to screen any individuals who may come into contact with your loved one?
4. Can you replicate the quality of care and level of social interaction that your loved one has come to expect?
5. Do you have a plan in place to ensure that your loved one has their nutritional needs met?
6. Do you have a 24/7 monitoring or alert system in place should your loved one need assistance at night?
7. Do you have an isolation plan prepared should a member of your household contact the virus?
8. How will this care integrate into your family needs when families are now largely working and living together?
9. Have you consulted your loved one and understood their preferences, including if they want to leave their friends and social network?
10. Can you sustain this level of engagement for six months, or even until the end of the year?
At Optima, seniors’ housing and care is our business. It’s what we do and we do it well. We truly seek to understand the needs, wants, and requirements of our residents, and this guides us in supporting our residents live with the highest quality of life.
We know how much you love your relatives, and that you want the best for them. The fact is that we want the very same thing. We put our resident first, and we stand ready and equipped to handle any situation that confronts us.
If you have any questions, we are more than happy to have a conversation with you to discuss your personal circumstances.
Co-Founder and Principal